Bolton Mansion, consisting of four
connected structures, was begun in 1687 and completed in 1790.
The earliest portions of the house are located to the rear of
the 1790 front section. The rear wing consists of
Pemberton's 1687 house, a later enlargement and a section
connecting the rear wing to the main house. This two-story wing
was constructed of rubble fieldstone and has brick chimneys. One
is located in the middle while the other is situated at the end
farthest from the main house. Fenestration consisted of a
dormered roof, four six-over-six small paned windows on the
second floor, and four six-over-six windows on the first floor.
The main section, completed in 1790 by
descendants of Phineas Pemberton, is a late Georgian country
mansion. The house is an excellent example of the transition
from Georgian to the Neo-Classical style. This two-story four
bay building has a gambrel roof and is constructed of
semi-dressed fieldstone. On the first floor there are two
chambers on either side that are bisected by a central hall. The
fenestration consists of a dormered roof, four six-over-six
small paned windows on the second floor, and three six-over-six
windows on the first floor. This lack of symmetry denotes
alterations. The windows are trimmed with stone arches with
central keystones. The entrance is pedimented with a fan transom
(destroyed) and with pilasters with Doric capitals. The chimneys
are no longer standing. The original woodwork and small-paned
windows were destroyed.
Bolton Mansion, named for
a location in England, was the second home of Phineas Pemberton.
Pemberton had a profound impact on the settlement of
Pennsylvania and Bucks County. His talents and responsibilities
in shaping a government in the wilderness were a great help to
William Penn. Pemberton took an active interest in public
affairs on both the state and county levels. His was a member of
the provincial council 1685-1687, 1695, 1697-1699. He served as
a member of the Assembly in 1689, 1694, 1698 and 1700. During
the 1698 term Pemberton served as Speaker of the Assembly. In
1701 he was a member of Penn's council of state.
Pemberton was also
involved in the affairs of early Bucks County. He served as
Register of Wills, Recorder, and Clerk of the courts. For a time
he held the positions of Master of Roles, Register General, and
Recorder of Proprietary Quit Rents for the province.